Saturday, January 14, 2006

Leadership (By RUDOLPH GIULIANI)

I have read this book last year and lately had a conversation about it with a friend who happened to read it too. I have found the book to be very interesting and almost didn't leave it until I read it all. There are several issues that caught me in the book:
1. The high achievement standards demonstrated by RG.
2. The broken windows theory.
3. The self example.
4. The morning meetings that helped to move things up.

Well, actually there are lot more and these are only the labels of a much wider stories, however, I would like to concentrate today on the broken windows theory,
and this because I find it to be so useful to think at that way and I think everyone should be familiar with it in order to better understand how simple it might be to get to higher standards when you just follow the rules of consistency and showing an example.
The "broken windows" theory says in short that in places where the windows are broken, it might be common to assume that one more broken window will not be a disaster (on the contrary). This saw might be deduced to many fields such as:
[1] If you are shouting at me, it is ok to shout.
[2] If a politician is a liar, his surrounding might be built of lies (and is it ok?).
[3] If there is already a garbage on the floor, it is ok to drop some more garbage on that floor....
So, in short, the theory says - "fix the broken windows unless you want to see all the others broken too..."

No comments: